From: Petr Vandrovec <vandrove@vc.cvut.cz>
To: schierlm@gmx.de
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, vojtech@suse.cz
Subject: Re: touchpad doesn't work under 2.6.0-test1-ac2
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:24:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:27:51PM +0200, Michael Schierl wrote:
> David Benfell <benfell@greybeard95a.com> wrote:
>
> However, giving 'psmouse_noext' as kernel param helped for me to make
> the touchpad work (using /dev/input/mice (protocol autops2) as source
> for gpm and gpm repeater as source for x, as I did in 2.4.x kernels).
>
> Setting "#define DEBUG" in drivers/input/serio/i8042.c caused lots of
> lines of text on my console whenever i touched either the touchpad or
> one of the (four) buttons.

In the drivers/input/mousedev.c there is (beside other entries) only
one entry for absolute devices:

{
        .flags = INPUT_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_EVBIT | INPUT_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_KEYBIT | INPUT_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_ABSBIT,
        .evbit = { BIT(EV_KEY) | BIT(EV_ABS) },
        .keybit = { [LONG(BTN_TOUCH)] = BIT(BTN_TOUCH) },
        .absbit = { BIT(ABS_X) | BIT(ABS_Y) },
},      /* A tablet like device, at least touch detection, two absolute axes */

This entry requires that device reports BTN_TOUCH - but Synaptics tablet
does not have any BTN_TOUCH, it has only "normal" LEFT, RIGHT buttons.
So I created additional entry, which listed "[LONG(BTN_LEFT)] = BIT(BTN_LEFT)"
for .keybit instead.

After this change gpm sees some events, but vertical movement is reversed
(although synaptics does not report that...) and whenever I take finger
up from touchpad mouse randomly jumps over screen.

And worse - after booting with Synaptics protocol enabled touching flatpannel
with finger stops working as left button until machine is powered off.

This all happens on Compaq EVO N800C. I strongly believe that we need a
build time option for disabling Synaptics detection, or at least input_synaptics=0
runtime option, until it can work at least as well as it works like ps/2
device.

Needless to say that small joystick on the keyboard does not work in synaptics
mode, and it does not create separate input device.

					Best regards,
						Petr Vandrovec
						vandrove@vc.cvut.cz