_____ From: netfilter-admin@lists.netfilter.org [mailto:netfilter-admin@lists.netfilter.org] On Behalf Of zze-KHOURY Jad FTRD/DMI/CAE Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 1:33 AM To: netfilter@lists.netfilter.org Subject: (no subject) Hi, I'm having some problems finding how to log ONLY iptable log messages to another file other than messages. So I made some changes in the "sylsog.conf" file by adding: kern.warning /var/log/firewall since the Default log level entry is" warning". But I still reveive some message other than the packets, from the kernel itself! how can I limit the input messages to only Netfilter packets? What should I change in the syslog.conf file If I don't want to receive Netfilter messages in this file? regards Jad To isolate firewall log messages into a separate or dedicated file. By default, netfilter logs to the kern.info syslog facility. This places all the firewall log messages into /var/log/messages along with all other kernel messages. This behavior is not exceedingly friendly for firewall log parsing and analysis. However, since the Linux kernel logs very little by default at the “debug” level, there is an easy solution. Follow these steps: § Set logging level to “debug” in the firewall script: LOG_LEVEL="debug" § Place the LOG_LEVEL variable in rule sets for all packets to be logged: -j LOG --log-level $LOG_LEVEL § Tell syslog to log only kernel.debug messages to the firewall log file: kern.=debug /var/log/iptables/iptables.log § Tell syslog not to place firewall messages into /var/log/messages: *.*;kern.!=debug /var/log/messages § Restart syslog: ./etc/init.d/syslog restart