hoi :) On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:18:25AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote: > I was doing this with perl and SQL before I > ever heard of RCU. If you don't want to lock a table (or didn't realize > SQL had such a thing as table locking :-) you just fetch a value, make > some calculation on it, then do the update iff that value has not > changed. If it has changed you fetch the new value and go back to step what you described is not RCU. it's more something like seqlocks RCU means: you always read without any locking. when you want to write, you create a new copy of the data instead and switch over a pointer when you are done. if you are sure that the old pointer is not used any move, you can free the old value. -- Martin Waitz