Hi, On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 04:31:50AM -0700, Liam Breck wrote: >> That still leaves the health status reading, though. From >> userspace's point-of-view this should be merged into the >> battery device, if fuel-gauge can't provide that information. > > I think the bigger issue is that multiple sysfs devices for what is > conceptually one power supply is awkward. With the addition of static > battery object, we have yet another set of properties which belong to > that supply. The simple-battery is consumed by the fuel-gauge, so not a problem. > A solution to this would be a core registry which allows various > drivers to submit properties to a named supply. Properties with the > same id (e.g. health) are OK given a tag (input-V, NTC-1, battery-V) > to differentiate them. Duplicates would be dropped (e.g. both drivers > submit monitored-battery stats). The result would be represented in > sysfs as a single device, where each property would appear as a file > or directory as necessary. And perhaps also as a file "health_summary" > which indicates whether there's trouble below decks. Yes, that would be the proper solution. Might become important, if more platforms with multiple chips providing battery information appear. Since I don't think you want to implement your suggestion, I suggest sticking to the custom "bat_fault" sysfs property. That should already be exposed for the charger device as far as I can see. -- Sebastian