On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 10:15:32AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote: > Dear Tom, > > In message <20210706145420.GQ9516@bill-the-cat> you wrote: > > > > > Updating to a current version would fix this, in an almost 100% > > > backward compatible way. > > > > Let us cut to the chase then. Who is going to port a modern version of > > hush over to U-Boot, and maintain it? If we fork and forget again, > > we'll be in a bad place once again in 2-3 years. > > Would we really be better off if we switch to some exotic piece of > code instead (I was not able to locate any user base, nor other > developers), which has been reported to have poor or no error > handling, and comes with an incompatible command line interface? > > There is a zillion of shell scripts in the field, from non-trivial > boot sequences to complex download-and-upgrade scripts. You can't > really even think of breaking compatibility on such a level. As I've said a few times in this thread, this not being an sh-style interpreter is a strike against it. And if we're going to insist on a bug-for-bug upgrade to our hush (so that all of the hugely complex existing scripts keep working) we might as well not upgrade. Frankly I suspect that down the line IF a new cli interpreter comes in to U-Boot we will have to keep the old one around as a "use this instead" option for another long number of years, so that if there are any systems with non-trivial scripts but upgrade U-Boot and don't / won't / can't re-validate their entire sequence, they can just use the old cli. -- Tom