From: Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net>
To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SSD based sw RAID: is ERC/TLER really important?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 20:21:52 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Gianluca,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 08:41:06PM +0200, Gianluca Frustagli wrote:
> But in the case of SSD drives (where, possibly, the error recovery activities
> performed by the drive firmware are very fast) does the presence of the
> ERC/TLER capability really matter?

If the setting is there, why wouldn't you use it? If the error
recovery is always very fast, as you hypothesise, then the low
timeout you set with smartctl -l scterc will never be reached
anyway.

> Is the same scenario from the spinning
> drives case actually even probable or only theorical?

I don't know what the typical error recovery behaviour of an SSD is
because in years and years I haven't seen such problems with SSDs,
but where they offer the scterc setting I do use it anyway on the
basis of it's not going to hurt anything.

I see it available on enterprise SSD like Samsung SM883, Intel
D3-S4610. I don't see it on Supermicro DOM modules.

I also don't see it on NVMe drives at all (e.g. Samsung PM983), and
NVMe seems to be the future of flash so maybe this setting dies
soon…

Cheers,
Andy