Andrew Jeffery wrote: > On Sat, 11 Jan 2020, at 02:08, Michael Richardson wrote: >> >> Andrew Jeffery wrote: >> > >> https://github.com/openbmc/meta-phosphor/blob/master/aspeed-layer/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files/0001-aspeed-Disable-unnecessary-features.patch >> >> > The distro feature is opt-in as it has impacts beyond simply >> disabling the backdoors > (there are some unfortunate side-effects to >> enforcing confidentiality of the BMC's > address space. >> >> okay, so the bridge gets turned off, and it has some other effects. >> What are the side effects? I'm guessing by the inclusion of the VGA >> defines in that board init that they are video related. > We have a slightly more detailed description here: > https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3475 > With respect to PCIe, disabling the P2A causes the host kernel to fail > probing the AST DRM driver on kernels before 4.12 (from memory). This > impacts POWER more than other host architectures due to invalid > accesses triggering EEH. Thanks, that description was very useful... very good job here. > With respect to LPC, the issue is largely that the bit in the LPC > controller to disable the iLPC2AHB bridge only disables write access, > the host can still continue to issues arbitrary reads of the BMC > address space. That's an interesting challenge. If it can read, then it can read crypto-secrets (private keys and session keys). Does the AST have any internal places which aren't visible externally? I can see how this feature was really useful to debugging BMC code :-) I wish I could answer this question myself, but I haven't found a public spec for the AST yet. Is the NDA process difficult, I wonder. > To prevent arbitrary reads the BMC must disable the > entire SuperIO controller, which knocks out the ability to configure > UARTs, GPIOs, and the LPC mailbox among other functionality. On some > platforms disabling SuperIO is feasible (POWER based), but others may > require some of this functionality be present. Yes, I can see that seems like crippling functionality. -- ] Never tell me the odds! | ipv6 mesh networks [ ] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works | IoT architect [ ] mcr@sandelman.ca http://www.sandelman.ca/ | ruby on rails [