Ingo Molnar wrote: > * K.R. Foley wrote: > > >>Ingo Molnar wrote: >> >>>* K.R. Foley wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>>>For me, this one wants to panic on boot when trying to find the root >>>>>filesystem. Acts like either the aic7xxx module is missing (which I >>>>>don't think is the case) or hosed, or it's having trouble with the label >>>>>for the root partition (Fedora system). Will investigate further when I >>>>>get home tonight, unless something jumps out at anyone. >>>>> >>>>>kr >>>> >>>>For clarification: This appears to be a problem in 2.6.9-rc3-mm3 also. >>> >>> >>>try root=/dev/sda3 (or whereever your root fs is) instead of >>>root=LABEL=/, in /etc/grub.conf. >>> >>> Ingo >>> >> >>Thanks. Tried that just to be sure. However, I don't seem to be the >>only one having this problem with aic7xxx. > > Ingo, First let me say that, in case you haven't been following the other thread about this "2.6.9-rc3-mm3 fails to detect aic7xxx", I resolved this by backing out the bk-scsi.patch and bk-scsi-target.patch. Without those everything works fine. > could you send me the following info: > > - full log of a failed boot I would like to be able to be able to send you this, but it doesn't get to the point of logging. It dies trying to find the / device. On the screen it displays the parameters for the chosen option in grub.conf, says its uncompressing, then displays the Nash version info, then displays a panic message about not finding the root device. Something on the order of: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) Do you think that I would actually get to see more info out of this if I connect a serial console? > - full log of a successful boot Attached. > - the output of 'mount' [root@porky root]# mount /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw) none on /proc type proc (rw) none on /sys type sysfs (rw) none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw) /dev/sdb1 on /proj1 type ext3 (rw) none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw) > > Ingo > thanks, kr