From: Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@gmail.com>
To: donpedro@tdcadsl.dk
Cc: linux-ide@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Regressions in sata_nv regarding STANDYBY IMMEDIATE.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:30:46 -0600	[thread overview]

On 04/25/2012 01:12 AM, Peter Dons Tychsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recent kernels broke suspend/hibernate completely on one of my setups
> after updating to more recent kernels (3.3). It used to work perfectly
> and the machine was hardly ever powered completely off (standby).
> (older M2N-E ASUS motherboard with nvidia MC55 controller).
>
> The symptoms where that the system would hang entering hibernate. The
> only complaint from the system was that command STANDBY_IMMEDIATE had
> failed.
>
> At first i assumed that the disk (an older WD Green disk) was dying, and
> replaced the disk with a cheap Seagate disk. However, this turned out
> not to be the case.
>
> Looking through the ATA code i found that STANDBY had been replaced with
> STANDBY_IMMEDIATE as it was supposed to be more compliant. Replacing it
> with the old STANDBY made the standby procedure work again.

I'm not aware of this being changed recently. If it's this commit you're
referring to, it was back in 2007:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=78981a7c6c34bddbb90da72cf6ce10953e84aad8

What was the last kernel that was known to work OK?

> Now the question is: The STANDBY and STANDBY_IMMEDIATE commands are for
> the disk. Why does it specifically break for disks on MCP55 and not on
> other chipsets? Does it make sense?

Not really, but these NVIDIA SATA controllers (especially the pre-AHCI
ones like this) are finicky beasts.