From: Ray Olszewski <ray@comarre.com>
To: Linux-Newbie list <linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: basic networking queries
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:17:51 -0700	[thread overview]

James -- I cannot answer your question directly, because you have provided
a bit too little information about your setup, and some of what you did
provide is unusual relative to my experience.

First off, what Linux distribution and version are you using? I'm guessing
Slackware, but that is no more than a guess (based on the filename
rc.pcmcia ... of the major distros, I think Slackware is the only one that
still uses rc* filenames for init scripts).

To get an IP address assigned by DHCP, a system needs to run a DHCP client.
The one most commonly used, these days, is pump. Others include dhcpcd and
dhclient. You need to see which of these you have on your system, then
create or activate an init script that starts one of them with appropriate
settings. If you have none of them, you need to see which of them your
distro provides and install one of them ... also maybe create an init
script, or maybe the install will cause an init script to be installed too.

Or maybe changing the settings in network.opts as you guessed will work, if
the needed daemon is on your system. It's hard to say. The form of init
scripts is a bit distro dependent (very much so as regards Slackware), so
without seeing the script in question, it is hard to be definite about what
you should do. Usually, if you are using DHCP, you do not fill in fields
for IP address, netmask, broadcast address, gateway, and maybe nameservers.

Since you are a beginner, I'll close with a bit of beginner advice:
whenever you pose a question about Linux, here or on any list, always
mention what distro you are using, what version, and (usually) what kernel
version (e.g., "Red Hat 9.0 with kernel 2.4.20" or "Debian Sid with kernel
2.4.19"). It saves everyone a lot of time.

-