From: Heiko Schocher <hs@denx.de>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot] [RFC][DFU] Unification of dfu_alt_info alt settings description + command execution
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 06:45:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Marek,

Am 18.07.2013 17:10, schrieb Marek Vasut:
> Hi,
>
>> Dear Heiko Schocher,

>>> This solves not the erasecounter problem, or?
>>>
>>> For UBI we need something like this:
>>> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_flasher_algo
>>>
>>> But I am not an UBI expert. It is possible I overlook something
>>> obvious ...
>>
>> No, you don't.  Devices managed by UBI should never be erased by
>> other, non-UBI-aware tools.
>
> I based my reply on the following commit in U-Boot and the fact that
> write.trimffs is used to flash UBI images. Maybe I was wrong?
>
> commit c9494866df835bcee68e17339aec1090faa704da
> Author: Ben Gardiner<bengardiner@nanometrics.ca>
> Date:   Tue Jun 14 16:35:07 2011 -0400
>
>      cmd_nand: add nand write.trimffs command
>
>      Add another nand write. variant, trimffs. This command will request of
>      nand_write_skip_bad() that all trailing all-0xff pages will be
>      dropped from eraseblocks when they are written to flash as-per the
>      reccommended behaviour of the UBI FAQ [1].
>
>      The function that implements this timming is the drop_ffs() function
>      by Artem Bityutskiy, ported from the mtd-utils tree.
>
>      [1] http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_flasher_algo

Yes, that sounds as a step in the right direction, but where are
the erasecounters handled, as described in [1] ?

And as this is a "ubi function" and not nand specific, the command
should start with "ubi ..." ... as we have a "ubi write ...", but
ubi write is only for ubi volumes ... i tend to say, we need a
"ubi format ..." similiar to ubiformat in the mtd utils [2] ...

[2] http://git.infradead.org/mtd-utils.git
     ubiformat found in /ubi-utils/ubiformat.c

bye,
Heiko