On 12/05/2015 17:50, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote: > On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 05:14:15PM +0200, Mason wrote: >> This ties in to another thread I started in LAKML: >> ("High-resolution timers not supported when using smp_twd on Cortex A9") >> >> $ git show 5388a6b2 arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c >> commit 5388a6b266e9c3357353332ba0cd5549082887f1 >> Author: Russell King >> Date: Mon Jul 26 13:19:43 2010 +0100 >> >> ARM: SMP: Always enable clock event broadcast support >> >> The TWD local timers are unable to wake up the CPU when it is placed >> into a low power mode, eg. C3. Therefore, we need to adapt things >> such that the TWD code can cope with this. >> >> We do this by always providing a broadcast tick function, and marking >> the fact that the TWD local timer will stop in low power modes. This >> means that when the CPU is placed into a low power mode, the core >> timer code marks this fact, and allows an IPI to be given to the core. >> >> This mentions a "broadcast tick function" (of which I know nothing). >> Is this what you're referring to? > > No. This has nothing to do with low power modes. > > How this works depends on how your kernel is configured, but essentially > it's something like this: > > * The CPU which will be idling sets its local timer to wake up after N > counter cycles, where N is calculated from the timer frequency. > > * When the local timer fires, the CPU is kicked out of the idle loop, and > it reads the current system time. If the current system time indicates > that the software timer set in schedule_timeout() has fired, that > software timer fires. > > If the local timer changes frequency without the idling CPU being woken > up, then the problem you're referring to can happen. > > As you're not giving much information about your system (including > indicating where we might see some source code) we're not able to help > more than providing above descriptions. Maybe if you posted your > patches so far to support the project you're working on, we could > provide better answers. Hello Russell, I am using as much generic code as I can. I've attached my clock registration code and cpufreq platform driver to this message. I plan to set up a github repo in order to share my progress while I try to mainline the port. Regards.