On 12/10/2015 12:44 PM, Tom Evans wrote: > I've just had to delve back into the deep murky past and try to get > Freescale's Kernel 2.6.35 FlexCAN driver working. That's because the > only code base that supports Freescale's Video Hardware is that one and > we need working video. 2.6.x I feel your pain. Another option would be to port the flexcan driver to that old kernel. But I'm getting off topic here :) > I'm suggesting this code as an "historical reference" that might be > useful for anyone looking for simple/simplistic ways to handle a FlexCAN > port. It isn't like the driver actually works fully. It can't have ever > been tested very much. Which is why I've had to fix it. > > It has the Driver, Register handling and Message Buffer handling split > into three separate source files, which is a useful simplification. YMMV :) > It can't be configured with "canconfig", but exposes a huge number of > variables in the sysfs which is actually quite powerful and extendable. > > Freescale's "2.6.35_maintain" kernel consists of 2.6.35 plus about 1200 > Freescale patches which basically replace all the hardware drivers. > > The source for this driver in this tree (until someone renames it to NXP): > > http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/log/?h=imx_2.6.35_maintain > > The Driver is in the expected place: > > http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tree/drivers/net/can/flexcan?h=imx_2.6.35_maintain > > 1 - It defaults to 32 receive and 32 transmit MBs, but that can be changed. > > 2 - It can't receive in order, but you'd only need to sort on the > timestamps to fix that (or use the FIFO). In order reception is crucial. > 3 - It can't transmit in order either (unless you drop it to one > transmit MB), but a simple change to the Transmit MB assignment would > fix that. Same here. > 4 - It supports FIFO mode, but it doesn't work at all. The FIFO hardware > gets so badly screwed by the driver that it has to be power-cycled to > get it working again. > > 5 - Transmit doesn't work either. If you push it it'll start sending ONE > Message per SECOND. That's an easy fix by changing the code to actually > unblock the netif queue instead of what it does. > > 6 - The sysfs variable that reserves receive message buffers is named to > reserve transmit buffers, it messes up if the DLC is over 8 (because it > doesn't call get_can_dlc()), the Dump routines don't work properly, > off-by-one bug, comparison-reversal bug and so on. > > 7 - The only good thing about it is that it doesn't use NAPI, so when > fixed it doesn't drop messages when you try to use MMC/eMMC/ESDHC. > > FIFO bug documented and fixed here: > > https://community.freescale.com/thread/381075 > > Transmit bug documented and fixed here (and the other ones listed), also > MMC/eMMC problem: > > https://community.freescale.com/message/595897 > > Patches to fix all of it on the end of this thread: > > https://community.freescale.com/thread/303271 If there's interest in working with this prehistoric kernel, why isn't there anyone that picks up all the patches and add them to a git repo. fsl doesn't seem to care either, maybe unless you're using their newest product :( just my 2ยข, Marc -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Industrial Linux Solutions | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | http://www.pengutronix.de |