From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@gmx.de>
To: Xen devel list <xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
Subject: usb in hvm domU
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 02:16:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,
After asked on the users list first but getting no success or failure
report of anybody using this feature, I just tested the usb access in
hvm as documeted in
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION04344000000000000000

For me, this is quite broken: When I boot a VM with such a parameter,
it takes three times as long to boot, then, I can enter and lsusb
command, and see that the device seems to be there, but from then on,
the VM behaves very strange, not accepting keybord intput correctly
anymore, and I got now 3 times trapped in an vnc window, no way to
exit nicely, all I could do was going to the text console with
ctrl-alt-F1, login and kill vncviewer, then I could use x windows
again.

Similar with SDL - when entering the window by clicking on it, I was
trapped in there, and the system kept booting as very slow as with
vnc. Again, no way to get out, but ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F7.

At least for me, this feature does not work very well. It whould
probably be documented as "experimental" in the manual.

Besides that, I was wondering how I could add multiple device with
this configuration syntax. As there are mouse problems in hvm with vnc
graphics, which go away when using usbdevice="tablet",
how can I use for example an usb stick at the same time? I tried
usbdevice='tablet,host:vid:pid', but that doesn't work (with correct
vid and pid values - fir the tests above I used only these and they
lead to me seing the correct device in lsusb, but the problems
described above).
Didn't try yet to use a python list, currently fighting with the other
problems...

Henning