On 04.12.20 17:13, Dario Faggioli wrote: > On Tue, 2020-12-01 at 10:18 +0100, Jürgen Groß wrote: >> On 01.12.20 10:12, Jan Beulich wrote: >>> What guarantees that you managed to find an unused ID, other >>> than at current CPU speeds it taking too long to create 4 >>> billion pools? Since you're doing this under lock, wouldn't >>> it help anyway to have a global helper variable pointing at >>> the lowest pool followed by an unused ID? >> >> An admin doing that would be quite crazy and wouldn't deserve better. >> >> For being usable a cpupool needs to have a cpu assigned to it. And I >> don't think we are coming even close to 4 billion supported cpus. :-) >> >> Yes, it would be possible to create 4 billion empty cpupools, but for >> what purpose? There are simpler ways to make the system unusable with >> dom0 root access. >> > Yes, I agree. I don't think it's worth going through too much effort > for trying to deal with that. > > What I'd do is: > - add a comment here, explaining quickly exactly this fact, i.e., > that it's not that we've forgotten to deal with this and it's all > on purpose. Actually, it can be either a comment here or it can be > mentioned in the changelog. I'm fine either way > - if we're concerned about someone doing: > for i=1...N { xl cpupool-create foo bar } > with N ending up being some giant number, e.g., by mistake, I don't > think it's unreasonable to come up with an high enough (but > certainly not in the billions!) MAX_CPUPOOLS, and stop creating new > ones when we reach that level. Do you agree that this could be another patch? I'm not introducing that (theoretical) problem here. Juergen