From: Cornelia Huck <cohuck@redhat.com>
To: John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com>, QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Cc: "Peter Maydell" <peter.maydell@linaro.org>,
	"Laurent Vivier" <laurent@vivier.eu>,
	"Palmer Dabbelt" <palmer@dabbelt.com>,
	"Paolo Bonzini" <pbonzini@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] GitLab issue tracker labeling process: arch/target, os, and accel labels
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 09:28:45 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 14 2021, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:

(...)

> # OS
>
> Currently "os: XXX" for BSD, Linux, Windows, and macOS.
>
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels?subscribed=&search=os%3A
>
> Multiple OS labels can be applied to an issue.
>
> Originally, we kept this label somewhat vague and have been using it to
> identify both the host AND guest involved with an issue.
>
> Stefan Weil has requested that we refactor this to separate the concerns
> so that he can identify issues where Windows is the host without wading
> through numerous reports where Windows is merely the guest. Reasonable
> request.
>
> Shall we split it into "host: XXX" and "guest: XXX" for {BSD, Linux,
> Windows, macOS}?

Yes to splitting and using something like "hostOS:" and "guestOS:", as
had already been suggested downthread.

For the guest OS, I think we also want "Other". It can be valuable to
know that the guest OS might be doing something that is not done by the
OSes usually run as a guest, so I think this is useful information.

What about linux-user? We probably can't categorize what is being run
very neatly.

> This isn't too hard to do at initial triage time, but we'll need to sift
> through the bugs we've labeled so far and re-label them. Help on this
> would be appreciated. I would prefer we create a *new* set of labels and
> then draw down on the old labels instead of just renaming them. That
> way, the old label can be used as a re-triage queue.
>

> # arch/target
>
> Currently "target: XXX" for alpha, arm, avr, cris, hexagon, hppa, i386,
> m68k, microblaze, mips, nios2, openrisc, ppc, riscv, rx, s390x, sh4,
> sparc, tricore, xtensa.
>
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels?subscribed=&search=target%3A
>
> The names map 1:1 to the directories in target/.
> The names in [square brackets] in the label descriptions correspond 1:1
> with the SysEmuTarget QAPI enum defined in qapi/machine.json.
>
> Multiple target labels can be applied to an issue. Originally, this was
> named "arch", so this was to allow multiple architectures to be
> specified to cover the host/guest environment. If we disentangle this,
> we may still want to allow multiple labels to cover bugs that might
> affect multiple targets, though that case might be rare.
>
> Recently, we renamed this from "arch: XXX" to "target: XXX", though the
> label had been being used for both the host and guest architecture, so
> this will need to be re-audited to remove cases where the label had been
> applied for the host architecture.
>
> We probably want to keep a set of labels that apply to the host
> architecture. These are useful for build failures, environment setup
> issues, or just documenting the exact environment on which an issue was
> observed.
>
> We won't likely require the full set of targets to be duplicated for
> this purpose: possibly just the most common ones. I assume those are:
>
> arm, i386, ppc, s390x
>
> How should we tag those? "host-arch: XXX"?

host-arch sounds good; maybe add a catch-all "host-arch: other" to catch
uncommon host architectures?

> What I would like to avoid is creating labels like "host: windows-i386"
> where the cross matrix of ({host,guest} X OS x ARCH) starts to require
> ever-increasing specificity of initial triage labels and may increase
> the risk of overly-specified bugs going unnoticed. Maybe my concern is
> unfounded, but I think the over-specificity will hurt more than help at
> this stage.

I think having "host-arch:" and "hostOS:" is enough.