On 2018/10/7 下午6:39, evan d wrote: >>> like so?: >>> grep -obUaP "\x5F\x42\x48\x52\x66\x53\x5F\x4D" /dev/sdc >>> >> Yes. And it will be very slow, since you're going to read out the whole >> disk. >> >> But I don't really think you would get some hit, according to current >> result. > > Ok, so it is what it is. Based on what you're telling me, whilst the > data may be there and intact, the superblock is irretrievably damaged > and the data is thus for all intents and purposes lost. Although the result is the same (data all lost), but I don't believe it's only super block corrupted. If you have some special magic string, like "#!/bin/bash" or "\x7f\x45 \x4c\x46\x02\x01\x01\x00" (elf header) , you could try to grep through the whole disk. I believe the data (or at least part of the data) is also corrupted in this case. > > I may as well use wipefs to clear crud from both drives, partition and > format them and then use them elsewhere. -- this more or less > accurately summarise the situation? Unfortunately, yes. Thanks, Qu >