Hi Florian, On 02/09/2019 13:09, Florian Westphal wrote: > I tried to fold the earlier 'RFC v2' in a way so that it allows > easy squashing. > > Patch #1 is the only one where this is painless. > For all others, things are not easy because conflicts exist all > over the place. > > So I see two ways forward: > 1. I rebase this myself and offer a pull request for the resulting series > 2. Only squash the first patch and keep the rest as extra patch. > > I suggest we go with #2. Sounds good to me. Is it OK for others if we do that? I only propose to squash commits to ease the work for later and still have a patch-set that can be easy to read, not ending with a lot of "to squash" patches. But here I understand that there are conflicts everywhere. Another possibility is to do the "rebase" directly in the TopGit tree if you prefer. I have no issue to give you the "push" permissions and you have experience with TopGit. But I can also understand that you prefer to postpone the rebase for later (or you don't like TopGit :) ) > The export tree already has a few patches > that need to be squashed anyway before sending a formal series. That's true. If we want to change that before, simply tell me which patches have to be squashed and I can already do the work :) > Also, the export branch is currently not bisectable, I get build > errors mid-series. That has to happen :/ Is it something very important if we send the whole patch-set upstream? I guess it is better to have "consistent" patches and we will certainly fix that but the goal is to merge the whole series. > I don't think this is a problem for now, I think it makes sense to > not squash the larger patches for the time being. I am fine with that. > Once another patch series is to be submitted to netdev, the export > branch can be renamed/archived and a reorganisation can be done at that > point (and the result diff'd versus the old export branch to make sure > there is no difference in resulting code). Sounds good to me! We can even re-create another TopGit tree in parallel after the rebase if we think that it will take some times before being accepted upstream. Another question linked to that: do you think it could be possible and a good idea to push our code upstream ASAP with known limitations and continue our work directly in a dedicated repo from git.kernel.org with "regular" merge request for net-next? Cheers, Matt -- Matthieu Baerts | R&D Engineer matthieu.baerts(a)tessares.net Tessares SA | Hybrid Access Solutions www.tessares.net 1 Avenue Jean Monnet, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium