From: hasen j <hasan.aljudy@gmail.com>
To: matteo brutti <webmbackslash@gmail.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: git pull
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 05:03:18 -0600	[thread overview]

On 17 May 2010 15:51, matteo brutti <webmbackslash@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm learning about git and soon have a question.
> My repo is in /dev/sda6 and my home is in /dev/sda4, as are both in
> local i thought that when i committ, i'll found the files on repo
> changed, it was not so! I learn i have to use git pull, but i didn't
> understand why.
> I made some tries, put my repo in /home/user/myrepo cloned in
> /home/user/myclones changed files and committed and the changes was in
> the repo without any need of pulling, and i have permission to write
> to /dev/sda6, so why have i to pull changes?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Matteo

If you clone repoA into repoB, then you commit some new changes to
repoA, you won't see the same changes in repoB unless you pull them
from repoA.

I don't think it matters whether or not they are in the same partition or not.

As far as I understand, if you clone within the same partition, the
object database might be hard-linked. This won't affect what files you
have checked out though. It would just mean that you won't need to
"fetch", because the objects are already there.