Try applying the attached patch with git am 0001-Test-patch.patch in the git repository. At least for me, it results in a very odd commit that has one single line in the commit message: Test patch This should go in the body not in the subject line which is obviously bogus. I think the reason is that the "header continuation line" logic kicks in because the lines in the body start with spaces, but that's entirely incorrect, since (a) we're not in an email header (b) there's an empty line in between anyway, so no way are those body lines continuation lines. I didn't check how far back this goes, I guess I'll do that next. But I thought I'd report it here first in case somebody else goes "ahhh". Linus