From: Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com>
To: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
	Derrick Stolee <stolee@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2021, #04; Mon, 19)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 18:52:16 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 4:16 PM Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:

> * en/rename-limits-doc (2021-07-15) 4 commits
>  - rename: bump limit defaults yet again
>  - diffcore-rename: treat a rename_limit of 0 as unlimited
>  - doc: clarify documentation for rename/copy limits
>  - diff: correct warning message when renameLimit exceeded
>
>  Update documentation on "git diff -l<n>" and diff.renameLimit.

It also bumps the default limits.  Not sure if that's worth calling
out in the release notes or not.

>  Will merge to 'next'.

Thanks.

> * en/ort-perf-batch-14 (2021-07-13) 7 commits
>  - merge-ort: restart merge with cached renames to reduce process entry cost
>  - merge-ort: avoid recursing into directories when we don't need to
>  - merge-ort: defer recursing into directories when merge base is matched
>  - merge-ort: add a handle_deferred_entries() helper function
>  - merge-ort: add data structures for allowable trivial directory resolves
>  - merge-ort: add some more explanations in collect_merge_info_callback()
>  - merge-ort: resolve paths early when we have sufficient information
>
>  Further optimization on "merge -sort" backend.
>
>  Reviews?

Stolee reviewed it; he posted numerous comments and helpful
suggestions throughout the series.  I sent in a new series
incorporating all his suggestions, though I'm still waiting to hear
back if that addresses things sufficiently for him.

> * ds/commit-and-checkout-with-sparse-index (2021-07-14) 5 commits
>  - checkout: stop expanding sparse indexes
>  - sparse-index: recompute cache-tree
>  - commit: integrate with sparse-index
>  - p2000: compress repo names
>  - p2000: add 'git checkout -' test and decrease depth
>  (this branch uses ds/status-with-sparse-index.)
>
>  "git checkout" and "git commit" learn to work without unnecessarily
>  expanding sparse indexes.
>
>  Will merge to 'next'.

Please wait; he's going to post some fixes.  See
https://lore.kernel.org/git/91b81577-3ff8-3845-75d1-c47e8a42406e@gmail.com/.

> * ds/status-with-sparse-index (2021-07-14) 16 commits
>  - t1092: document bad sparse-checkout behavior
>  - fsmonitor: integrate with sparse index
>  - wt-status: expand added sparse directory entries
>  - status: use sparse-index throughout
>  - status: skip sparse-checkout percentage with sparse-index
>  - diff-lib: handle index diffs with sparse dirs
>  - dir.c: accept a directory as part of cone-mode patterns
>  - unpack-trees: unpack sparse directory entries
>  - unpack-trees: rename unpack_nondirectories()
>  - unpack-trees: compare sparse directories correctly
>  - unpack-trees: preserve cache_bottom
>  - t1092: add tests for status/add and sparse files
>  - t1092: expand repository data shape
>  - t1092: replace incorrect 'echo' with 'cat'
>  - sparse-index: include EXTENDED flag when expanding
>  - sparse-index: skip indexes with unmerged entries
>  (this branch is used by ds/commit-and-checkout-with-sparse-index.)
>
>  "git status" codepath learned to work with sparsely populated index
>  without hydrating it fully.
>
>  Will merge to 'next'.

Yep, sounds good; thanks.