The RDEPENDS variable supports giving numeric version bounds. For example: RDEPENDS_${PN} = "foo (>= 1.3)" That works well for getting version dependencies respected at rootfs time. But DEPENDS (used at build-time) silently ignores any similar constraint arguments. For example: DEPENDS = "foo (>= 1.3)" will not cause a recipe to be skipped if foo is present only at some version less than 1.3. I've tried a couple of workarounds in functions like so: python () { # Pseudocode. Version-number parsing would have to be done. if d.getVar('PV_pn-foo', True) < '1.3': raise bb.parse.SkipException('...') } but ${PV_pn-foo} always just evaluates to None. I think this is because of the well-defined boundaries between instantiations of variables in one recipe and the next. Is there any way to escape that isolation and express version boundaries? -Matt