On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM David Miller wrote: > From: Michal Hocko > Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:21:29 +0100 > > > On Sat 28-11-15 15:51:13, Pavel Machek wrote: > >> > >> atl1c driver is doing order-4 allocation with GFP_ATOMIC > >> priority. That often breaks networking after resume. Switch to > >> GFP_KERNEL. Still not ideal, but should be significantly better. > > > > It is not clear why GFP_KERNEL can replace GFP_ATOMIC safely neither > > from the changelog nor from the patch context. > > Earlier in the function we do a GFP_KERNEL kmalloc so: > > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ > > It should be fine. > AFAICT, the people who benefit from GFP_ATOMIC are the people running all their storage over NFS/iSCSI who are suspending their machines while they're so busy they don't have any clean order 4 pagecache to drop, and want the machine to panic rather than hang. The people who benefit from GFP_KERNEL are the people who use their laptop for a while, put it to sleep, and then wake it up again. I think the latter is the use case we should be optimizing for. -- Chris