From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
To: Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com>
Cc: Leo Li <leoyang.li@nxp.com>, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	pankaj.bansal@nxp.com, Rob Herring <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert+renesas@glider.be>,
	Thierry Reding <treding@nvidia.com>,
	"open list:OPEN FIRMWARE AND FLATTENED DEVICE TREE BINDINGS"
	<devicetree@vger.kernel.org>,
	V.Sethi@nxp.com, udit.kumar@nxp.com
Subject: Re: using interrupt controller dt-bindings macros in Non GPL dts files
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:27:35 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:39 PM Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com> wrote:
> Stephen Warren wrote at Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:40 PM:
> > Li Yang wrote at Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:10 PM:

> > > Right, we should work with the author/contributor of these two files.
> > >
> > > Hi Stephen and Geert,
> > >
> > > Are you ok with relicensing these two files with (GPL-2.0 OR MIT)?
> > > Given that many dts files in arm/arm64 are dual licensed with GPL and
> > > MIT/X11/BSD, it makes more sense that these header files are dual
> > > licensed with a permissive license too.
> >
> > FWIW, I have filed an internal bug to our IP audit team to see what they
> > think. I cannot predict the answer or timeline for an answer.
>
> It turns out I got a very quick answer from our legal department. The
> joy of filing a bug right before their scheduled meeting! We're fine
> either:
>
> a) Sending the files direct to you with an MIT license (we'd send a copy
> of the last version only touched by me, un less Geert also ack's the
> license change).
>
> b) Sending a patch to convert these files to just MIT (preferable), or
> perhaps dual GPLv2/MIT if that's what the kernel maintainers want.
>
> Let me know which option works best for you.

I think option b) makes most sense, to fix this for good.

I have no objections. I don't think my spelling fixes in commit
d6613aa750ad66b2 ("ARM: dt: GIC: Spelling s/specific/specifier/,
s/flaggs/flags/")
are copyrightable anyway ;-)

> That said, have you thought about all the other files you'll likely
> need; those two IRQ related files are unlikely to be the only files that
> are useful. Don't you want/need to relicense "everything" in include/dt/
> and arch/*/boot/dts/?

+1

Originally, the files were introduced without a license, thus defaulting to
GPL v2, and this was made "official" in Greg's commit b24413180f5600bc
("License cleanup: add SPDX GPL-2.0 license identifier to files with
no license").

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds