On Nov 25, 2015, at 10:51 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote: > > On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 04:28:35PM +0000, David Howells wrote: >> Martin Steigerwald wrote: >> >>> Any plans to add limitations of filesystem to the call like maximum file >>> size? I know its mostly relevant for just for FAT32, but on any account >>> rather than trying to write 4 GiB and then file, it would be good to at some >>> time get a dialog at the beginning of the copy. >> >> Adding filesystem limits can be done. I got a shopping list of things people >> wanted a while back and I've worked off of that list. I can add other things >> - that's on of the reasons I left room for expansion. > > I ran across systemd/src/basic/path-util.c:fd_is_mount_point() the other > day, and the contortions it goes through made me wonder if we should > also add mnt_id and/or an is_mountpoint boolean--it's annoying to have > to do name_to_handle_at() (not supported on all filesystems) just to get > mnt_id. > > (Looking at it now I see it falls back on reading mount id from > /proc/self/fdinfo/. Maybe that's good enough. May depend on > whether there's a potential user that doesn't want to assume access to > /proc?) IMHO, it should be possible to get information about a file or directory from the file itself (i.e. statx() or fsinfo() on the path/fd), rather than having to grub around in a /proc file that the application magically has to know about, and parse text files there for every file being handled. Cheers, Andreas