On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 06:38:57PM -0300, Fabiano Rosas wrote: > Bruno Piazera Larsen writes: > > >> I'm actually not sure if we'll want translate_init.c for !tcg builds. > >> It's *primarily* for TCG, but we still need at least some of the cpu > >> state structure for KVM, and some of that is initialized in > >> translate_init. > >> > >> I think it will probably make more sense to leave it in for a first > >> cut. Later refinement might end up removing it. > >> > >> The whole #include translate_init.c.inc thing might make for some > >> awkward fiddling in this, of course. > > > > I just checked, there is going to be some shuffling of functions > > around, as there are some static variables defined on translate.c, > > and used in translate_init.c.inc, some functions needed for KVM > > on translate.c and some TCG only functions in the > > translate_init.c.inc. > > > > The trivial path is to: > > * rename translate_init.c.inc to cpu_init.c (since it has to do with > > initial definitions for CPUs, and it's not related to translating > > anymore); > > Below I'm assuming we have one place for TCG stuff and other for KVM > stuff, whatever this particular discussion ends up producing. > > > * move gen_write_xer and gen_read_xer into cpu_init.c, as they're > > used for some sprs, and whatever needs to be moved with it > > I'd leave them where they are currently. Instead what I think we should > do is to find a way to not need the uea/oea/hea|read/write callbacks > with KVM. > > Maybe extract a function from _spr_register that sets what is common for > both tcg and kvm (num, name, initial_value, AFAICT). Then alter the > gen_spr* functions to first create all registers and then call both > configs to supplement: > > //tcg.c > static void tcg_gen_spr_generic(CPUPPCState *env) > { > // these only set the callbacks > spr_register(env, SPR_FOO, > SPR_NOACCESS, SPR_NOACCESS, > &spr_read_foo, &spr_write_foo); > spr_register(env, SPR_BAR, > SPR_NOACCESS, SPR_NOACCESS, > &spr_read_bar, &spr_write_bar); > } > > //kvm.c > static void kvm_gen_spr_generic(CPUPPCState *env) > { > // these only set one_reg_id > spr_register_kvm(env, SPR_FOO, KVM_REG_PPC_FOO); > spr_register_kvm(env, SPR_BAR, KVM_REG_PPC_BAR); > } I really dislike the idea above - it'd be way too easy for KVM and TCG to get out of sync. Instead make spr_register() itself a macro if necessary, so it just ignores the access functions in the !TCG case. > //common.c > static void gen_spr_generic(CPUPPCState *env) > { > // these only set name, num, initial value > spr_register(env, SPR_FOO, "FOO", 0xf00); > spr_register(env, SPR_BAR, "BAR", 0xb4d); > ... > > // have these stubbed if not chosen via config > tcg_gen_spr_generic(env); > kvm_gen_spr_generic(env); > } > > init_ppc_proc() > { > ... > gen_spr_generic(env); > ... > } > > Can anyone see a better way? That would be much easier if we could > afford to say that TCG and KVM are mutually exclusive for a given build, > but I don't think they are. > > > * move is_indirect_opcode and ind_table to translate.c, since they > > are used to translate ppc instructions, and the things defined for > > these functions > > Makes sense. This and the other part below about callback tables would > be mostly about moving code so it's a candidate for coming soon. > > > * Figure out what needs to be added to the includes for both > > files to compile > > * move opcodes and invalid_handler into cpu_init.c, because they > > are only used by stuff in this file. > > > > I'm just not sure about this last point. The stuff that use opcodes > > create the callback tables for TCG, AFAICT. The better plan would > > be to move all of that to tanslate.c, but might be a lot. > > translate.c seems like a better place indeed. > -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson