Hi Mike, On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 08:49:05AM -0600, Mike Jones wrote: > Patrick, > > We are using spec: Open Rack V3 48V BBU. Got it. I think you'll want to look here: - https://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Open_Rack/SpecsAndDesigns > In the case of a PMC, since I don’t know the OCP architecture well, is there a PMC device in the rack that would manage a BBU, or do devices that plug into their rack each have a PMC? > > Looking at the above spec, the functions of the MCU are quite limited, so I assume there is a PMC device that is managing these other elements like a BBU. If you look at the Power Shelf design you'll see mention of a PMC/PMI connector. This is a slot for which two different designs can fit into: PMC or PMI (and I don't recall exactly what the "I" stands for). With PMC, the intended design was this was a full BMC-class device with a network interface. This would run OpenBMC. With PMI, there is a MCU in place of the BMC and the PMI is connected to the top-of-rack switch using a modbus / RS-485 over RJ-45 implementation like was available in ORv2. I think the PMI would speak the same exact protocol as the similar device in ORv2. You might find details on this modbus protocol in the above link, but there is a lot to dig through... -- Patrick Williams