From: David Christensen <drc@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: "Min Hu (Connor)" <humin29@huawei.com>, dev@dpdk.org
Cc: Maxime Coquelin <maxime.coquelin@redhat.com>,
	chenbo.xia@intel.com, Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Questions about vm2vm vhost-user/virtio-net test
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:25:46 -0700	[thread overview]

On 9/30/21 2:07 AM, Min Hu (Connor) wrote:
> Hi, all,
>      I got the answer: testpmd fwd mode should be set "io", then ping
> OK.
>
>      IO fwd mode, it will not change packet MAC address info, and
> ping OK
>      MAC fwd mode, it will change packet MAC address info, like:
>      "rte_ether_addr_copy(&peer_eth_addrs[fs->peer_addr],
>                  &eth_hdr->d_addr);
>      rte_ether_addr_copy(&ports[fs->tx_port].eth_addr,
>                  &eth_hdr->s_addr)"
>      Then, ping failed.
>
>      So, everyone, I got one question: how could this happen?
>      router change packet src MAC and dst MAC, but ping OK,
>      testpmd vhost, treated as switch, also changes packert src MAC
>      and dst MAC, but ping failed ?

Running testpmd in this configuration is more like a virtual wire, not a
switch, though in both cases the SRC/DST MAC addresses aren't typically
modified by the wire/switch when the frame is in transit. Both endpoints
reside in the same Ethernet broadcast domain and can talk to each other
directly.

A router typically connects two different broadcast domains, which may
or may not be using Ethernet, so the router usually changes the SRC/DST
MAC address to work correctly as the frame transitions from one
broadcast domain into another. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_domain.

Dave