From: Mat Martineau <mathew.j.martineau@linux.intel.com>
To: Florian Westphal <fw@strlen.de>
Cc: mptcp@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Revised mptcp_info sockopt and selftests
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:43:01 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021, Florian Westphal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have reworked the MPTCP_INFO getsockopt.
>
> I think that for now its better to focus on the UAPI rather than the
> implementation.

I agree - thanks for taking this approach.

> Here is a minimal usage example to illustrate the feature:
>
> UAPI structures:
> struct mptcp_info_opt_ptr {
> 	__aligned_u64	address;			/* userspace address */
> 	__u32		nmemb_user;			/* number of elements in address[] */
> 	__u32		size_user;			/* size of one element in address[] */
> 	__u32		nmemb_kernel;			/* nmemb count kernel wanted to store */
> 	__u32		size_kernel;			/* structure size in kernel */
> };

Will embedding multiple userspace addresses in this way be a problem for
security frameworks, in-kernel sockets, BPF_CGROUP_RUN_PROG_SETSOCKOPT,
etc?

While I like the flexibility this gives us, it does seem a lot more
complex than any other getsockopt I can think of. The similar thing that
comes to mind is iovecs, but that seems like a level of complexity that we
might want to avoid (?).

What if the first field of mptcp_info_opt_ptr was an offset instead of an
address? We could pass in one block of memory and still have the same
flexibility. I'll elaborate more below.

> struct mptcp_info_opt {
> 	struct mptcp_info_opt_ptr mptcp_info;		/* struct mptcp_info */
> 	struct mptcp_info_opt_ptr tcp_info;		/* struct tcp_info[] of each subflow */
> 	struct mptcp_info_opt_ptr socknames;		/* struct sockaddr_storage[] */
> 	struct mptcp_info_opt_ptr peernames;		/* struct sockaddr_storage[] */
> };

If we were to use offsets instead of addresses, mptcp_info_opt could be
extensible in the future by including a "num_ptrs" (or similar) field.

> /* Sample call, error checks removed */
> void test_info_getsockopt(int fd)
> {
> 	struct sockaddr_storage remotes[16], locals[16];
> 	struct mptcp_info mptcp_info;
> 	struct tcp_info tcpinfo[16];
> 	struct mptcp_info_opt m;
> 	socklen_t optlen = sizeof(m);
> 	uint32_t i;
> 	int err;
>
> 	memset(&m, 0, sizeof(m));
> 	m.mptcp_info.size_user = sizeof(mptcp_info);
> 	m.mptcp_info.address = (uint64_t)&mptcp_info;
>
> 	m.tcp_info.address = (uint64_t)tcpinfo;
> 	m.tcp_info.size_user = sizeof(tcpinfo[0]);
> 	m.tcp_info.nmemb_user = 16;
>
> 	m.socknames.size_user = sizeof(locals[0]);
> 	m.socknames.nmemb_user = 16;
> 	m.peernames.size_user = sizeof(remotes[0]);
> 	m.peernames.nmemb_user = 16;
> 	m.socknames.address = (uint64_t)locals;
> 	m.peernames.address = (uint64_t)remotes;
>
> 	err = getsockopt(fd, SOL_MPTCP, MPTCP_INFO, &m, &optlen);

With offsets, the above code could look something like:

struct my_info_opt {
 	struct mptcp_info_opt m; /* Has to be first */
 	struct mptcp_info minfo;
 	struct tcp_info tinfo[16];
 	struct sockaddr_storage locals[16];
 	struct sockaddr_storage remotes[16];
} my_info;

memset(&my_info, 0, sizeof(my_info));
my_info.num_ptrs = 4;

my_info.m.mptcp_info.offset = offsetof(my_info.minfo);
my_info.m.mptcp_info.size_user = sizeof(my_info.minfo);

my_info.m.tcp_info.offset = offsetof(my_info.tinfo);
/* size_user / nmemb_user same as above */

/* and so on for locals and remotes */

optlen = sizeof(my_info);

err = getsockopt(fd, SOL_MPTCP, MPTCP_INFO, &my_info, &optlen);

So, it's almost the same but uses one contiguous chunk of memory rather
than having to handle five different userspace addresses.

> 	printf("have %u subflows, token is %x\n", mptcp_info.mptcpi_subflows, mptcp_info.mptcpi_token);
>
> 	for (i = 0; i < m.socknames.nmemb_user; i++) {
> 		printf("subflow %02d: ", i);
> 		fprintf_mptcp_info(stdout, (void *)&locals[i], (void *)&remotes[i]);
> 		printf("\n");
> 	}
>
> 	printf("... dumped %u of %u addresses.\n",
> 			m.socknames.nmemb_user, m.socknames.nmemb_kernel);
>
> 	for (i = 0; i < m.tcp_info.nmemb_user; i++)
> 		dump_tcp_info(&tcpinfo[i]);
> }
>
> As you can see, I removed 'byte' based sizes, i found this to be
> unecessarily tedious as the kernel then has to subtract from a
> 'remaining buffer size', while making sure that this can't underflow.
>
> With number-of-elements, its enough to 'remaining--' and "ptr += size_user".
>
> Userspace passes the address of the structure(s), the size of a single
> structure that it expects to get and the number of structures it has
> allocated (16 in above example).
>
> The kernel will:
> 1. not change, or shrink the number of structures.
>   This means that, in above example, nmemb_user will be anywhere
>   between 0 and 16 inclusive.
>
>   0 would happen in the 'no subflows' case, when nothing was filled in.
> 2. Not change, or shrink, size_user.  This happens for instance
>   if userspace has a larger 'struct tcp_info' than the kernel,
>   in this case size_user is updated to reflect the real element size.
>
> 3. update nmemb_kernel to reflect the structure size it *WOULD* have
>   filled. For example, if userspace tcp_info struct is smaller than the
>   kernel, then size_user < size_kernel.
>
> 4. update size_kernel with the number of elements it WOULD have filled
>   if there would have been more space.
>
> So, in above example, if there are 17 subflows then
> socknames.nmemb_user == 16 and socknames.nmemb_kernel == 17.
>
> Or, in short:
> The _kernel members are only filled by kernel, the value provided by
> userspace are ignored.
>
> The _user members are input/output: userspace tells kernel how much
> space it provides, kernel updates it to reflect how much it ended up
> using.
>
> Is that sane?  Any suggestions?

I think it's a very flexible approach, my main suggestion is the offset
vs. address thing above.

Would it be frowned upon to put some inline helper functions or macros in
the mptcp.h UAPI to reduce the boilerplate code to populate the
mptcp_info_opt_ptrs? It looks like some UAPI headers have that, but not
many.

> On a related note, how should the test infra look like?
> kunit isn't useable as i would prefer to test the UAPI, so that means
> kselftest.
>
> I would prefer not to extend mptcp_connect again.
> Would you be ok with a new test program?

Yes

> Any preferences?  If not, i would go with mptcp_getsockopt.c +
> mptcp_getsockopt.sh.

+1 for those names.

> The latter would then call the former with various possible
> combinations, such as 'ipv4', 'ipv6', 'only ask for tcp_info', etc.

Thanks for the proposal.

--
Mat Martineau
Intel