From: Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>
To: Stefan Kooman <stefan@bit.nl>,
	Ceph Development <ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Investigate busy ceph-msgr worker thread
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 11:46:02 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2020-12-03 at 12:01 +0100, Stefan Kooman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a cephfs linux kernel (5.4.0-53-generic) workload (rsync) that
> seems to be limited by a single ceph-msgr thread (doing close to 100%
> cpu). We would like to investigate what this thread is so busy with.
> What would be the easiest way to do this? On a related note: what would
> be the best way to scale cephfs client performance for a single process
> (if at all possible)?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Usually kernel profiling (a'la perf) is the way to go about this. You
may want to consider trying more recent kernels and see if they fare any
better. With a new enough MDS and kernel, you can try enabling async
creates as well, and see whether that helps performance any.

As far as optimizing for a single process, there's not a lot you can do,
really.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>