From: Auger Eric <eric.auger@redhat.com>
To: Leo Yan <leo.yan@linaro.org>
Cc: Daniel Thompson <daniel.thompson@linaro.org>,
	Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@arm.com>,
	kvmarm@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: Question: KVM: Failed to bind vfio with PCI-e / SMMU on Juno-r2
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:03:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Leo,

+ Jean-Philippe

On 3/15/19 10:37 AM, Leo Yan wrote:
> Hi Eric, Robin,
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:24:25AM +0100, Auger Eric wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> If the NIC supports MSIs they logically are used. This can be easily
>>> checked on host by issuing "cat /proc/interrupts | grep vfio". Can you
>>> check whether the guest received any interrupt? I remember that Robin
>>> said in the past that on Juno, the MSI doorbell was in the PCI host
>>> bridge window and possibly transactions towards the doorbell could not
>>> reach it since considered as peer to peer.
>>
>> I found back Robin's explanation. It was not related to MSI IOVA being
>> within the PCI host bridge window but RAM GPA colliding with host PCI
>> config space?
>>
>> "MSI doorbells integral to PCIe root complexes (and thus untranslatable)
>> typically have a programmable address, so could be anywhere. In the more
>> general category of "special hardware addresses", QEMU's default ARM
>> guest memory map puts RAM starting at 0x40000000; on the ARM Juno
>> platform, that happens to be where PCI config space starts; as Juno's
>> PCIe doesn't support ACS, peer-to-peer or anything clever, if you assign
>> the PCI bus to a guest (all of it, given the lack of ACS), the root
>> complex just sees the guest's attempts to DMA to "memory" as the device
>> attempting to access config space and aborts them."
>
> Below is some following investigation at my side:
>
> Firstly, must admit that I don't understand well for up paragraph; so
> based on the description I am wandering if can use INTx mode and if
> it's lucky to avoid this hardware pitfall.

The problem above is that during the assignment process, the virtualizer
maps the whole guest RAM though the IOMMU (+ the MSI doorbell on ARM) to
allow the device, programmed in GPA to access the whole guest RAM.
Unfortunately if the device emits a DMA request with 0x40000000 IOVA
address, this IOVA is interpreted by the Juno RC as a transaction
towards the PCIe config space. So this DMA request will not go beyond
the RC, will never reach the IOMMU and will never reach the guest RAM.
So globally the device is not able to reach part of the guest RAM.
That's how I interpret the above statement. Then I don't know the
details of the collision, I don't have access to this HW. I don't know
either if this problem still exists on the r2 HW.

> But when I want to rollback to use INTx mode I found there have issue
> for kvmtool to support INTx mode, so this is why I wrote the patch [1]
> to fix the issue.  Alternatively, we also can set the NIC driver
> module parameter 'sky2.disable_msi=1' thus can totally disable msi and
> only use INTx mode.
>
> Anyway, finally I can get INTx mode enabled and I can see the
> interrupt will be registered successfully on both host and guest:
>
> Host side:
>
>            CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5
>  41:          0          0          0          0          0          0     GICv2  54 Level     arm-pmu
>  42:          0          0          0          0          0          0     GICv2  58 Level     arm-pmu
>  43:          0          0          0          0          0          0     GICv2  62 Level     arm-pmu
>  45:        772          0          0          0          0          0     GICv2 171 Level     vfio-intx(0000:08:00.0)
>
> Guest side:
>
> # cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5
>  12:          0          0          0          0          0          0     GIC-0  96 Level     eth1
>
> So you could see the host can receive the interrupts, but these
> interrupts are mainly triggered before binding vfio-pci driver.  But
> seems now after launch kvm I can see there have very small mount
> interrupts are triggered in host and the guest kernel also can receive
> the virtual interrupts, e.g. if use 'dhclient eth1' command in guest
> OS, this command stalls for long time (> 1 minute) after return back,
> I can see both the host OS and guest OS can receive 5~6 interrupts.
> Based on this, I guess the flow for interrupts forwarding has been
> enabled.  But seems the data packet will not really output and I use
> wireshark to capture packets, but cannot find any packet output from
> the NIC.
>
> I did another testing is to shrink the memory space/io/bus region to
> less than 0x40000000, so this can avoid to put guest memory IPA into
> 0x40000000.  But this doesn't work.

What is worth to try is to move the base address of the guest RAM. I
think there were some recent works on this on kvmtool. Adding
Jean-Philippe in the loop.

Thanks

Eric