On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 16:59 -0500, Rob Herring wrote: > On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Nicolas Saenz Julienne > wrote: > > Hi All, > > this series tries to address one of the issues blocking us from > > upstreaming Broadcom's STB PCIe controller[1]. Namely, the fact that > > devices not represented in DT which sit behind a PCI bus fail to get the > > bus' DMA addressing constraints. > > > > This is due to the fact that of_dma_configure() assumes it's receiving a > > DT node representing the device being configured, as opposed to the PCIe > > bridge node we currently pass. This causes the code to directly jump > > into PCI's parent node when checking for 'dma-ranges' and misses > > whatever was set there. > > > > To address this I create a new API in OF - inspired from Robin Murphys > > original proposal[2] - which accepts a bus DT node as it's input in > > order to configure a device's DMA constraints. The changes go deep into > > of/address.c's implementation, as a device being having a DT node > > assumption was pretty strong. > > > > On top of this work, I also cleaned up of_dma_configure() removing its > > redundant arguments and creating an alternative function for the special > > cases > > not applicable to either the above case or the default usage. > > > > IMO the resulting functions are more explicit. They will probably > > surface some hacky usages that can be properly fixed as I show with the > > DT fixes on the Layerscape platform. > > > > This was also tested on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a custom PCIe driver and > > on a Seattle AMD board. > > Humm, I've been working on this issue too. Looks similar though yours > has a lot more churn and there's some other bugs I've found. That's good news, and yes now that I see it, some stuff on my series is overly complicated. Specially around of_translate_*(). On top of that, you removed in of_dma_get_range(): - /* - * At least empty ranges has to be defined for parent node if - * DMA is supported - */ - if (!ranges) - break; Which I assumed was bound to the standard and makes things easier. > Can you test out this branch[1]. I don't have any h/w needing this, > but wrote a unittest and tested with modified QEMU. I reviewed everything, I did find a minor issue, see the patch attached. Also I tested your branch both on an RPi4, with a PCI device that depends on these changes and by comparing the OF debugs logs on a Layerscape board which uses dma-ranges, dma-coherent and IOMMU. All works as expected. Will you send this series for v5.5? Please keep me in the loop, I'll review and test the final version. Regards, Nicolas