On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 08:33:20PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote: > My personal view is that where we're dealing with PCM audio, the driver > needs to set these bits correctly as there is nothing in userspace to > do this. This provides an identical interface between each audio device > which accepts PCM samples - whether it's a SPDIF or non-SPDIF based > device. > For non-audio data sent via an audio device, the AES bits need to be > conveyed from userspace, and we should respect what userspace gives us. > (If it's wrong, it's a userspace bug, and userspace should be fixed, > rather than trying to work around the bug by patching the kernel.) For what it's worth this is exactly what I'd be expecting to happen - the kernel should do something by default and then let applications override it if they so desire.