On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 03:45:44PM +0300, Mihail Costea wrote: > On 10 September 2013 08:38, Antonio Quartulli wrote: > > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:35:34AM +0300, Mihail Costea wrote: > >> On 9 September 2013 17:53, Antonio Quartulli wrote: > >> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:05:47PM +0300, Mihail Costea wrote: > >> >> Hi Antonio, > >> >> > >> >> Is it possible to send the new model for the generalization as a patch > >> >> first (the part without IPv6), or maybe everything as a patch as once? > >> >> Having 5-6 patches to rewrite every time something changes makes the > >> >> development harder. > >> > > >> > Which patches do you want to merge? > >> > If they are ready it is better to send them as PATCH to the ml and then base > >> > your work on top of them assuming they will be merged at some point. > >> > > >> > >> I took a small rest last week and now I'm redoing everything. > >> I was thinking about sending the first part for merging (the one with > >> generalization the DAT). > >> That is the one that needs most rewriting every time because it > >> affects the most existing code. > >> The rest I think I can send them together. > > > > I understood. Well, the problem is also that this period is a sort of > > "transition" because batman-adv is getting changed in some of its most important > > part > > and we would like all the "new features" that are not essential to come after > > these changes. > > We still need to merge two (or two and a bit) patchsets before we can start > > merging other things. > > > > This means that before your patchset gets merged we have to wait a bit more. > > I think it would be better to do this: > > - for a while you don't care about rebasing on top of master > > - when you have a some code ready to be reviewed you can put in on a remote git > > repo that we can check (e.g. github?) > > - we/I review the code so that we make it ready to be sent as PATCH > > - when these two (and a bit) patchsets are merged you can do the final rebase > > and send them to the ml for merging. > > > > What do you think? > > In this way we same some painful rebase cycles, but we can continue preparing > > the code. > > > > I understand, but it should be done similar? Like multiple patches? multiple patches is always the way to go when we have more than one change, we cannot mix them all. > The idea is that I might add some patches and then find a bug that was > in an old patch. > That means to find the patch with the bug, resolve it, and re-patch > everything after it. this is normal when you have multiple patches: if a fix in the very first patch of a series creates conflicts with all the following ones, you have to adjust them all (this is what the "git rebase" helps you with). > > It would be easier to do the changes directly on the existing code > than restart everything from scratch. restart everything from scratch? I did not get this. > I'm not sure if this is what you meant by using github. > for using github (or whetever else remote repository) I meant that instead of rebasing on top of master every time you have to send the patches to the ml for review, you could upload your code on a remote repo and have us reviewing the code on there directly. In this way you save the pain of respinning all your patches on top of master every week.. I hope I clarified your doubts. Cheers, -- Antonio Quartulli ..each of us alone is worth nothing.. Ernesto "Che" Guevara