On Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2016 12:55:50 CET Linus Lüssing wrote: > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:43:49PM +0100, Sven Eckelmann wrote: > > On Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 12:37:43 CET Sven Eckelmann wrote: > > > I was not talking about the packing functions. > > > > Just read my initial mails. Looks like I've copied the wrong function name > > "batadv_tvlv_ogm_pack_ctx". But I was talking about the parameter in of > > "batadv_tvlv_containers_process2". So I am the reason for the confusion :) > > Just to check, you suggest removing this line: > https://git.open-mesh.org/batman-adv.git/blob/1ddd189528fc332bf286ffd56b629da26a6b149c:/net/batman-adv/tvlv.c#l662 Yes > And to replace the passing of "ctx" with an "orig_node" here: > https://git.open-mesh.org/batman-adv.git/blob/1ddd189528fc332bf286ffd56b629da26a6b149c:/net/batman-adv/tvlv.c#l682 Yes > (which works as a "void *" parameter accepts any type, without the > need of casting explicitly) Yes > If that's what you mean, hm, not sure. Feels dangerous, such > automatic casting, doesn't it? It is not perfect but it is the way it is already done for many things in the kernel and also in userspace. Think for example about "the argument" when you generate (k)threads and which you can then then retrieve again inside this thread. Your current extra functions also don't prevent that there is a wrong argument added to this perticular function. They just introduce some weird extra functions. (At least this is how feel about it - their might be different opinions about that) > > I'm really wondering whether I should go for the approach of > hiding the "void *" in a new type. And only having the "void *" > fiddeling inside _pack()/_unpack() functions. Hm, I personally don't see a reason for a new type at the moment. But when you find a good one... at least their could be plenty of reasons which might make everything a little bit cleaner. Just keep in mind that there are already many other things in the kernel like container_of and similar things. So don't try to overengineer it :) Kind regards, Sven