dm-crypt.saout.de archive mirror
From: Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net>
To: dm-crypt@saout.de
Subject: [dm-crypt] Re: Reading the passphrase from a key-file
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:12:27 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2021-05-14 at 15:41 +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> But if the input is a binary file, it will stop on the first EOL
> (then you must use --keyfile-size).
> Please read "NOTES ON PASSPHRASE PROCESSING FOR LUKS" in the man
> page.

The manpage might be a bit ambiguous there, it says:
>From key file: The complete keyfile is read up to the compiled-in
>maximum  size.  Newline  characters  do not terminate the input.

What exactly is a key file here?
I assume "luksFormat <device> [<key file>]" definitely counts to it.

Thus everyone who created his volumes like this, should be on the safe
side (an quickly notice in any other operations, if he doesn't use the
full key), right?

Same, when "--key-file=someActualFile luksFormat <device>" is used, I
guess.

But what about when --key-file=- is used?

That's kind of a mix between "key file" and stdin, the later which is
documented to end et EOL.
I strongly hope in that case it also read the *full* stdin?

Cheers,
Chris.