On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 03:00:37PM +0200, Karol Herbst wrote: > At least for now I've created an MR to revert the change: > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/6300 > > But it seems like there was probably a good reason why it got added? > Happy to have better fixes, but that's the best we've got so far I > think? > > Thierry, what do you think? I did find the following via my mailbox (finally collecting all those emails is paying off =): https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-May/196026.html Cc'ing Daniel on the off chance that he remembers what the use-case was. I vaguely recall that Daniel was pointing out an issue on IRC that caused a series of fixes, including this change. Given that this was all done because of framebuffer modifiers, I think my earlier hunch about this being related to the case of non-modifier userspace is correct and we do run into issues with userspace that doesn't use framebuffer modifiers at all. In that case we basically have to assume pitch-linear because userspace will use DRM_IOCTL_MODE_ADDFB, which doesn't support modifiers. Thierry