dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
From: Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@linux.intel.com>
To: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com>,
	Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
Cc: Sebastian Wick <sebastian.wick@redhat.com>,
	Martin Roukala <martin.roukala@mupuf.org>,
	wayland <wayland-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Christoph Grenz <christophg+lkml@grenz-bonn.de>,
	Yusuf Khan <yusisamerican@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] drm/kms: control display brightness through drm_connector properties
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:24:30 +0300	[thread overview]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> devices and wrong in the other direction in other devices.
>>
>> Which means that to satisfy everyone here we will need a ton
>> of quirks, much too many to maintain in the kernel IMHO.

>> > So set it to a level we can guarantee can call it 0.  If we have the
>> > flag we are just punting on the problem in my opinion.
>>
>> Right this an impossible problem to solve so the intent is indeed
>> to punt this to userspace, which IMHO is the best thing we can do
>> here.  The idea behind the "bl_brightness_0_is_min_brightness:
>> ro, boolean" property is to provide a hint to userspace to help
>> userspace deal with this (and if userspace ends up using e.g.
>> systemd's hwdb for this to avoid unnecessary entries in hwdb).
>>
>> >  The kernel
>> > driver would seem to have a better idea what is a valid minimum than
>> > some arbitrary userspace application.
>>
>> If the kernel driver knows the valid minimum then it can make 0
>> actually be that valid minimum as you suggest and it can set the
>> hint flag to let userspace know this. OTOH there are many cases
>> where the kernel's guess is just as bad as userspace's guess and
>> there are too many laptops where this is the case to quirk
>> ourselves out of this situation.
>>
>> > Plus then if we need a
>> > workaround for what is the minimum valid brightness, we can fix it one
>> > place rather than letting every application try and fix it.
>>
>> I wish we could solve this in the kernel, but at least on
>> laptops with Intel integrated gfx many vendors don't bother
>> to put a non 0 value in the minimum duty-cycle field of the
>> VBT, so there really is no good way to solve this.
>
> We have similar issues with AMD platforms.  Some platforms don't
> populate the min value tables, but in the driver we set the minimum
> safe value as the default min value when that happens.  It may not
> always go as low as the platform may be capable of, but at least we
> have consistent behavior and it's all controlled in one place.
>

>> If the userspace folks ever want to do a database for this,
>> I would expect them to do something with hwdb + udev which
>> can then be shared between the different desktop-environments.
>
> So why not do it in the kernel?  At least that way everyone will get
> it the fixes as they happen.  A big user database may or may not
> happen and behavior will be inconsistent across desktop environments
> until that does.  I don't really see any value in having the flag.
> There will be cases where the flag is wrong and will require kernel
> fixes anyway (e.g., OEM switches panel due to supply chain issues and
> forgets to update the vbios, etc.), so why not just define 0 as
> minimum safe backlight value?  If it's too low and flickers or turns
> the backlight off, we quirk it.  If a particular platform can go
> lower, we can quirk it.  If we add the flag then we need to not only
> add quirks for the minimum value, but we also have to deal with quirks
> for when the flag is set wrong.  So now we are maintaining two quirks

Just chiming in, there are certainly plenty of panels and designs where
0 PWM duty cycle is physically not possible, and thus 0 brightness
simply can't universally mean off.

Daniel referred to a case where 0 brightness was used as fast mini dpms
off, and I think it's fundamentally a broken use case. We can't
guarantee to be able to support that. I think the appeal was partly in
being able to do it without access to kms api, quick and dirty via
sysfs.

Please let's just make 0 the minimum but not off. If you want off, you
do modeset, and the driver can follow panel timings etc.

I think that's also something the kernel can actually guarantee, while
we can't guarantee 0 is off.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center