Hi! > > No. gdb tells you what the actual offsets _are_. > > Ok, reading your reply twice, I think we have different perspectives. I > don't trust the comments. > > The tool I had in mind is pahole that parses dwarf information about the > structures, the same as gdb does. The actual value of the struct members > is the thing that needs to be investigated in memory dumps or disk image > dumps. > > > > > The expected offset is somewhat valuable, but > > > > perhaps the form is a bit off given the visual > > > > run-in to the field types. > > > > > > > > The extra work with this form is manipulating all > > > > the offsets whenever a structure change occurs. > > > > > > ... while this is error prone. > > > > While the comment tells you what they _should be_. > > That's exactly the source of confusion and bugs. For me an acceptable > way of asserting that a value has certain offset is a build check, eg. > like > > BUILD_BUG_ON(strct my_superblock, magic, 16); Yes, that would work, too. As would documentation file with the disk structures. Best regards, Pavel -- DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany