On 2021.08.20 16:17:24 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote: > On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 04:29:29PM +0800, Zhenyu Wang wrote: > > I'm working on below patch to resolve this. But I met a weird issue in > > case when building i915 as module and also kvmgt module, it caused > > busy wait on request_module("kvmgt") when boot, it doesn't happen if > > building i915 into kernel. I'm not sure what could be the reason? > > Luis, do you know if there is a problem with a request_module from > a driver ->probe routine that is probably called by a module_init > function itself? > > In the meantime I'll try to reproduce it locally, but I always had a > hard time getting useful results out of a modular i915, especially > when combined with module paramters. (no blame on i915, just the problem > with modules needed early on). > > > > > > But the problem I see is that after moving gvt device model (gvt/*.c > > > except kvmgt.c) into kvmgt module, we'll have issue with initial mmio > > > state which current gvt relies on, that is in design supposed to get > > > initial HW state before i915 driver has taken any operation. Before > > > we can ensure that, I think we may only remove MPT part first but > > > still keep gvt device model as part of i915 with config. I'll try to > > > split that out. > > > > Sorry I misread the code that as we always request kvmgt module when > > gvt init, so it should still apply original method that this isn't a > > problem. Our current validation result has shown no regression as well. > > What does initial mmio state mean? This is something new to me. But > as you said in this mail unless I missed something very big it should > work the same as before. > It's gvt internal track for all gfx mmio state, and yes with your current change it should still work as before. > > -static inline void intel_context_unpin(struct intel_context *ce) > > +static inline void _intel_context_unpin(struct intel_context *ce) > > { > > if (!ce->ops->sched_disable) { > > __intel_context_do_unpin(ce, 1); > > @@ -150,6 +150,7 @@ static inline void intel_context_unpin(struct intel_context *ce) > > } > > } > > } > > +void intel_context_unpin(struct intel_context *ce); > > Looking at intel_context_unpin/_intel_context_unpin is there really > a need to have this inline to start with? It don't see much the compiler > could optimize by inlining it. I'll send patch to i915 for this, and get more comments there. thanks