Hi Jens, >>>> Will this be backported? >>> >>> I can, but not really in an efficient manner. It depends on the async >>> buffered work to make progress, and the task_work handling retry. The >>> latter means it's 5.7+, while the former is only in 5.9+... >>> >>> We can make it work for earlier kernels by just using the thread offload >>> for that, and that may be worth doing. That would enable it in >>> 5.7-stable and 5.8-stable. For that, you just need these two patches. >>> Patch 1 would work as-is, while patch 2 would need a small bit of >>> massaging since io_read() doesn't have the retry parts. >>> >>> I'll give it a whirl just out of curiosity, then we can debate it after >>> that. >> >> Here are the two patches against latest 5.7-stable (the rc branch, as >> we had quite a few queued up after 5.9-rc1). Totally untested, just >> wanted to see if it was doable. >> >> First patch is mostly just applied, with various bits removed that we >> don't have in 5.7. The second patch just does -EAGAIN punt for the >> short read case, which will queue the remainder with io-wq for >> async execution. >> >> Obviously needs quite a bit of testing before it can go anywhere else, >> but wanted to throw this out there in case you were interested in >> giving it a go... > > Actually passes basic testing, and doesn't return short reads. So at > least it's not half bad, and it should be safe for you to test. > > I quickly looked at 5.8 as well, and the good news is that the same > patches will apply there without changes. Thanks, but I was just curios and I currently don't have the environment to test, sorry. Anoop: you helped a lot reproducing the problem with 5.6, would you be able to test the kernel patches against 5.7 or 5.8, while reverting the samba patches? See https://lore.kernel.org/io-uring/e22220a8-669a-d302-f454-03a35c9582b4@kernel.dk/T/#t for the whole discussion? metze