Hi Jens, >> I've been thinking along the same lines, because having a sparse sqe layout >> for the uring cmd is a pain. I do think 'personality' is a bit too specific >> to be part of the shared space, that should probably belong in the pdu >> instead if the user needs it. One thing they all have in common is that they'd >> need a sub-command, so why not make that u16 that? >> >> There's also the option of simply saying that the uring_cmd sqe is just >> a different type, ala: >> >> struct io_uring_cmd_sqe { >> __u8 opcode; /* IO_OP_URING_CMD */ >> __u8 flags; >> __u16 target_op; >> __s32 fd; >> __u64 user_data; >> strut io_uring_cmd_pdu cmd_pdu; >> }; >> >> which is essentially the same as your suggestion in terms of layout >> (because that is the one that makes the most sense), we just don't try >> and shoe-horn it into the existing sqe. As long as we overlap >> opcode/flags, then init is fine. And past init, sqe is already consumed. >> >> Haven't tried and wire that up yet, and it may just be that the simple >> layout change you did is just easier to deal with. The important part >> here is the layout, and I certainly think we should do that. There's >> effectively 54 bytes of data there, if you include the target op and fd >> as part of that space. 48 fully usable for whatever. > > OK, folded in some of your stuff, and pushed out a new branch. Find it > here: > > https://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/log/?h=io_uring-fops.v3 > > I did notice while doing so that you put the issue flags in the cmd, > I've made them external again. Just seems cleaner to me, otherwise > you'd have to modify the command for reissue rather than just > pass in the flags directly. I think the first two commits need more verbose comments, which clearly document the uring_cmd() API. Event before uring_cmd(), it's really not clear to me why we have 'enum io_uring_cmd_flags', as 'enum'. As it seems to be use it as 'flags' (IO_URING_F_NONBLOCK|IO_URING_F_COMPLETE_DEFER). With uring_cmd() it's not clear what the backend is supposed to do with these flags. I'd assume that uring_cmd() would per definition never block and go async itself, by returning -EIOCBQUEUED. And a single &req->uring_cmd is only ever passed once to uring_cmd() without any retry. It's also not clear if IOSQE_ASYNC should have any impact. I think we also need a way to pass IORING_OP_ASYNC_CANCEL down. > I also retained struct file * in the cmd - that's a requirement for > the layout of io_kiocb, so might as well keep it in there and not > pass in the file. Plus that one won't ever change... Ah, ok. > Since we just need that one branch in req init, I do think that your > suggestion of just modifying io_uring_sqe is the way to go. So that's > what the above branch does. Thanks! I think it's much easier to handle the personality logic in the core only. For fixed files or fixed buffers I think helper functions like this: struct file *io_uring_cmd_get_file(struct io_uring_cmd *cmd, int fd, bool fixed); And similar functions for io_buffer_select or io_import_fixed. > I tested the block side, and it works for getting the bs of the > device. That's all the testing that has been done so far :-) I've added EXPORT_SYMBOL(io_uring_cmd_done); and split your net patch, similar to the two block patches. So we can better isolate the core from the first consumers. See https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/linux/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/io_uring-fops.v3 > Comments welcome! Would like to move this one forward and hopefully > target 5.13 for it. Great! metze