io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Stefan Metzmacher <metze@samba.org>
To: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>,
	linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org,
	io-uring <io-uring@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: sched_waking vs. set_event_pid crash (Re: Tracing busy processes/threads freezes/stalls the whole machine)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:53:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Steve,

>>> Assuming this does fix your issue, I sent out a real patch with the
>>> explanation of what happened in the change log, so that you can see why
>>> that change was your issue.
>>
>> Yes, it does the trick, thanks very much!
>
> Can I get a "Tested-by" from you?

Sure!

Can you check if the static_key_disable() and static_key_enable()
calls are correctly ordered compared to rcu_assign_pointer()
and explain why they are, as I not really understand that it's different
from tracepoint_update_call vs. rcu_assign_pointer

>> Now I can finally use:
>>
>> trace-cmd record -e all -P $(pidof io_uring-cp-forever)
>>
>> But that doesn't include the iou-wrk-* threads
>> and the '-c' option seems to only work with forking.
>
> Have you tried it? It should work for threads as well. It hooks to the
> sched_process_fork tracepoint, which should be triggered even when a new
> thread is created.
>
> Or do you mean that you want that process and all its threads too that are
> already running? I could probably have it try to add it via the /proc file
> system in that case.
>
> Can you start the task via trace-cmd?
>
>   trace-cmd record -e all -F -c io_uring-cp-forever ...

I think that would work, but I typically want to analyze a process
that is already running.

>> Is there a way to specify "trace *all* threads of the given pid"?
>> (Note the threads are comming and going, so it's not possible to
>> specifiy -P more than once)
>
> Right, although, you could append tasks manually to the set_event_pid file
> from another terminal after starting trace-cmd. Once a pid is added to that
> file, all children it makes will also be added. That could be a work around
> until we have trace-cmd do it.

Sure, but it will always be racy.

With children, does new threads also count as children or only fork() children?

> Care to write a bugzilla report for this feature?
>
>   https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?component=Trace-cmd%2FKernelshark&list_id=1088173

I may do later...

Thanks!
metze