Thanks Aruna and Valdis for your replies. Use : linux-check-removal > I tried to use it on my kernel. It did not seem to work - I still see the files in /boot. I assume it is because my kernel is not signed properly. When I launch "dpkg --list | grep linux-image" I don't see my kernel in the list. When I reboot I still get an "invalid signature" error. I attach the build log, install log and .config file and x509.genkey file in this link in Google Drive (I tried attaching the files to the mail and got a message saying there's an issue with their size). Please let me know what additional input can help to analyze this issue. Seriously - if you're not comfortable with that level of sysadmin > procedures, > maybe you shouldn't be a kernel hacker... > Once you are comfortable with compiling + linking/building +running a > custom kernel > what is preventing you from writing 'your own command' to do exactly that > ? Say a bash > script ? Or Python program ? > I gave up for now and prepared bash script for removing the files, based on the information in https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/ (see "A note about custom compiled Linux kernel" section). In my opinion, if Makefile supports install, it should support uninstall as well. Please let me know whether it sounds like a worthy enhancement or a wrong expectation. Aruna, thank you for your kind words. I promise not to be discouraged. Continuing with my quest to become a kernel developer :-) Thanks, Gidi On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:29 AM Aruna Hewapathirane < aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com> wrote: > On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 9:17 PM Valdis Klētnieks > wrote: > >> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:01:22 +0200, Gidi Gal said: >> >> > Many thanks for your reply, Aruna. Is there a way to remove the >> installed >> > '5.12.0-rc3-GIDI_DEV+' kernel ? > > > Yes there are 'many' ways to remove a kernel :-) > > A reverse command for the 'sudo make >> > modules_install install' command ? I found this link which explains how >> to >> > do it manually ( >> > >> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/ >> ), >> > I wonder if there is a safer way. >> > > Type linux into your shell then press the 'tab' key twice.. you will see a > list of commands. > > Use : linux-check-removal > > Once you are comfortable with compiling + linking/building +running a > custom kernel > what is preventing you from writing 'your own command' to do exactly that > ? Say a bash > script ? Or Python program ? > > >> I can't speak for Debian, but I've used both the RedHat rpm method and >> just >> using the 'rm' command for self-bullt kernels since the 2.5.47 kernel or >> so >> (Egads, that was November 2002). As long as you follow the directions, >> you >> should be OK. 'rm' can get dangerous if you get over-exuberant with >> using '*' >> characters, but you already knew that, right? :) >> > > If you have to use rm always use it with the -i flag. Always prompt before > removal. > > >> And if you followed my recommendation and back up /boot, you'll be all >> set to restore whatever you mess up. > > > Listen to Valdis in this case and follow orders religioulsy. Back up not > just /boot but anything > and everything that is important for you. > > >> The running kernel will work just fine >> as long as you don't reboot. And unless you did 'rm /boot/*', you should >> have >> at least one usable kernel left... >> >> Seriously - if you're not comfortable with that level of sysadmin >> procedures, >> maybe you shouldn't be a kernel hacker... > > > Do not listen to Valdis in this case as we were all newbies at one time > like Dan Carpenter told me > which I will remember to my dying day. Do not let anyone tell you what you > can or cannot do when it > come's to the kernel because believe me like me you will find out over > time the kernel is a living thing that > has very subtle ways of informing you when you did something and it is not > happy :-) > > So compile away to your hearts content and go ahead and break things like > I did that is actually a very good way to learn. > And listen to more experienced folk like Valdis who probably knows more > about all the subsystems than anyone. But if anyone tells you > you should not be a kernel hacker then prove them wrong ? Actually that is > Valdis's way of motivating you. > > So good luck and we are here if you have questions :-) > > there is always the possibility of >> something you didn't know about trashing your system. See >> 5.12.0-rc1-dontuse >> for a nasty bug with file-backed swap that would stomp all over a section >> of your >> filesystem, and there was an ext[34] (can't remember anymore) bug during >> 2.5 >> that would trash the filesystem when you *unmounted* it. So you could >> boot the >> new kernel for testing, shutdown and boot the older version, and find it >> won't boot and be blaming the older version until we figured out what was >> happening. :) >> >> But seriously - if you have a good backup of the system, and an bootable >> external image that you can use for rescue, there's not much a kernel >> screw-up >> can do to permanently lose date. >> > > Agreed 110%. > >> >> Of course, WIndows Update is at that same level of reliability, so >> "knowing how >> to recover a trashed system" is an important skill no matter what OS you >> run :) >> > > Hope this helps - Aruna >