On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 10:37 AM Gidi Gal wrote: > Thanks Aruna and Valdis for your replies. > > Use : linux-check-removal >> > > I tried to use it on my kernel. It did not seem to work - I still see the > files in /boot. I assume it is because my kernel is not signed properly. > When I launch "dpkg --list | grep linux-image" I don't see my kernel in > the list. When I reboot I still get an "invalid signature" error. I attach > the build log, install log and .config file and x509.genkey file. Please > let me know what additional input can help to analyze this issue. > > dpkg -i and make install are two very different beasts. See this answer it will help you to understand why you are seeing the files in boot. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1118896/software-installation-with-dpkg-i-vs-with-make-how-do-they-differ The safest way would be to identify which kernel you want to remove first. Change into /boot then use rm to delete the files one by one. Then run sudo update-grub2 and reboot. And your good to go. > Seriously - if you're not comfortable with that level of sysadmin >> procedures, >> maybe you shouldn't be a kernel hacker... >> > > Once you are comfortable with compiling + linking/building +running a >> custom kernel >> what is preventing you from writing 'your own command' to do exactly that >> ? Say a bash >> script ? Or Python program ? >> > > I gave up for now and prepared bash script for removing the files, based > on the information in > https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/ > (see "A note about custom compiled Linux kernel" section). In my opinion, > if Makefile supports install, it should support uninstall as well. Please > let me know whether it sounds like a worthy enhancement or a wrong > expectation. > > Have a look at the make install and make clean sections in the Makefile. Again nothing to stop you from having a 'delete' or 'remove' target eh ? :-) > Thanks, > Gidi > > > > > On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:29 AM Aruna Hewapathirane < > aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com> wrote: > >> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 9:17 PM Valdis Klētnieks >> wrote: >> >>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:01:22 +0200, Gidi Gal said: >>> >>> > Many thanks for your reply, Aruna. Is there a way to remove the >>> installed >>> > '5.12.0-rc3-GIDI_DEV+' kernel ? >> >> >> Yes there are 'many' ways to remove a kernel :-) >> >> A reverse command for the 'sudo make >>> > modules_install install' command ? I found this link which explains >>> how to >>> > do it manually ( >>> > >>> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/ >>> ), >>> > I wonder if there is a safer way. >>> >> >> Type linux into your shell then press the 'tab' key twice.. you will see >> a list of commands. >> >> Use : linux-check-removal >> >> Once you are comfortable with compiling + linking/building +running a >> custom kernel >> what is preventing you from writing 'your own command' to do exactly that >> ? Say a bash >> script ? Or Python program ? >> >> >>> I can't speak for Debian, but I've used both the RedHat rpm method and >>> just >>> using the 'rm' command for self-bullt kernels since the 2.5.47 kernel or >>> so >>> (Egads, that was November 2002). As long as you follow the directions, >>> you >>> should be OK. 'rm' can get dangerous if you get over-exuberant with >>> using '*' >>> characters, but you already knew that, right? :) >>> >> >> If you have to use rm always use it with the -i flag. Always prompt >> before removal. >> >> >>> And if you followed my recommendation and back up /boot, you'll be all >>> set to restore whatever you mess up. >> >> >> Listen to Valdis in this case and follow orders religioulsy. Back up not >> just /boot but anything >> and everything that is important for you. >> >> >>> The running kernel will work just fine >>> as long as you don't reboot. And unless you did 'rm /boot/*', you should >>> have >>> at least one usable kernel left... >>> >>> Seriously - if you're not comfortable with that level of sysadmin >>> procedures, >>> maybe you shouldn't be a kernel hacker... >> >> >> Do not listen to Valdis in this case as we were all newbies at one time >> like Dan Carpenter told me >> which I will remember to my dying day. Do not let anyone tell you what >> you can or cannot do when it >> come's to the kernel because believe me like me you will find out over >> time the kernel is a living thing that >> has very subtle ways of informing you when you did something and it is >> not happy :-) >> >> So compile away to your hearts content and go ahead and break things like >> I did that is actually a very good way to learn. >> And listen to more experienced folk like Valdis who probably knows more >> about all the subsystems than anyone. But if anyone tells you >> you should not be a kernel hacker then prove them wrong ? Actually that >> is Valdis's way of motivating you. >> >> So good luck and we are here if you have questions :-) >> >> there is always the possibility of >>> something you didn't know about trashing your system. See >>> 5.12.0-rc1-dontuse >>> for a nasty bug with file-backed swap that would stomp all over a >>> section of your >>> filesystem, and there was an ext[34] (can't remember anymore) bug during >>> 2.5 >>> that would trash the filesystem when you *unmounted* it. So you could >>> boot the >>> new kernel for testing, shutdown and boot the older version, and find it >>> won't boot and be blaming the older version until we figured out what was >>> happening. :) >>> >>> But seriously - if you have a good backup of the system, and an bootable >>> external image that you can use for rescue, there's not much a kernel >>> screw-up >>> can do to permanently lose date. >>> >> >> Agreed 110%. >> >>> >>> Of course, WIndows Update is at that same level of reliability, so >>> "knowing how >>> to recover a trashed system" is an important skill no matter what OS you >>> run :) >>> >> >> Hope this helps - Aruna >> >