ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@linux.intel.com>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
	ksummit@lists.linux.dev,
	ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: [TECH TOPIC] New userspace API for display-panel brightness control
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:53:37 +0300	[thread overview]

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> <resend to both lists, because of confusion of which list to use>
>
> Hi All,
>
> As requested here is a copy of my LPC kernel summit track submission:
>
> Title: New userspace API for display-panel brightness control
>
> The current userspace API for brightness control offered by
> /sys/class/backlight devices has various problems:
>
> 1. There is no way to map the backlight device to a specific
> display-output / panel
>
> 2. On x86 there can be multiple firmware + direct-hw-access
> methods for controlling the backlight and the kernel may
> register multiple backlight-devices based on this which are
> all controlling the brightness for the same display-panel.
> To make things worse sometimes only one of the registered
> backlight devices actually works.
>
> 3. Controlling the brightness requires root-rights requiring
> desktop-environments to use suid-root helpers for this.
>
> 4. The scale of the brightness value is unclear, the API does
> not define if "perceived brightness" or electrical power is
> being controlled and in practice both are used without userspace
> knowing which is which.
>
> 5. The API does not define if a brightness value of 0 means off,
> or lowest brightness at which the screen is still readable
> (in a low lit room), again in practice both variants happen.

6. It's not possible to change both the gamma and the brightness in the
same KMS atomic commit. You'd want to be able to reduce brightness to
conserve power, and counter the effects of that by changing gamma to
reach a visually similar image. And you'd want to have the changes take
effect at the same time instead of reducing brightness at some frame and
change gamma at some other frame. This is pretty much impossible to do
via the sysfs interface.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center