ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@leemhuis.info>
	ksummit <ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org>,
	linux-doc@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] FYI & RFC: obsoleting reporting-bugs and making reporting-issues official
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:59:12 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 07:13:09AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Lo! Since a few months mainline in
> Documentation/admin-guide/reporting-issues.rst contains a text written
> to obsolete the good old reporting-bugs text. For now, the new document
> still contains a warning at the top that basically says "this is WIP".
> But I'd like to remove that warning and delete reporting-bugs.rst in the
> next merge window to make reporting-issues.rst fully official. With this
> mail I want to give everyone a chance to take a look at the text and
> speak up if you don't want me to move ahead for now.
>
> For easier review I'll post the text of reporting-issues.rst in reply to
> this mail. I'll do that in a few chunks, as if this was a cover letter
> for a patch-set. Note, the version I'll send in some areas looks a bit
> different from the one currently in mainline. That's because the text
> I'll send already incorporates a few patches from docs-next that are
> waiting for the next merge window; I also removed the "WIP" box as well
> as two remaining "FIXME" notes, as those point to aspects I mention
> below already.
>
> @Greg, @Sasha, I'd be especially glad if at least one of you two could
> take a look and yell if there is something you really dislike from the
> perspective of the stable maintainers.

I responded to the specific email, but will again here.  No objection
from me at all, this is a great resource, thanks for doing this.  If,
over time, it needs any tweaks to explain things that people commonly
get wrong, that's easy to do, so don't worry about trying to capture
"everything" right away.

thanks,

greg k-h