Avi Kivity wrote: > Herbert Xu wrote: >> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:27:17PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote: >> >>> If tap told us when the packets were actually transmitted, life >>> would be wonderful: >>> >> >> And why do we need this? Because we are in user space! >> >> > > Why does a kernel solution not need to know when a packet is transmitted? > You do not need to know when the packet is copied (which I currently do). You only need it for zero-copy (of which I would like to support, but as I understand it there are problems with the reliability of proper callback (i.e. skb->destructor). Its "fire and forget" :) -Greg