On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 17:28:11 +0100 Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote: > I'm wondering whether this is sloppy wording or whether the author is > really implying that they call the kernel decompressor with the MMU > enabled, against the express instructions in > Documentation/arm/Booting. According to [1] > If they are going against the express instructions, all bets are off. More background on the decompressor patch: - The "ANDROID: arm: decompressor: Flush tlb before swiching domain 0 to client mode" patch is needed anyway since 3.4 in any case, and according to the thread about it [1], the MMU is on at boot. - There is a downstream u-boot port for the Galaxy SIII and other very similar devices, which doesn't setup the MMU at boot, but I'm not confident enough to test in on the devices I have. To test with u-boot I'd need to find a new device. - If I don't manage to find a new device to test on, since there is already some setup code like arch/arm/boot/compressed/head-sa1100.S that deal with MMU that are enabled with the bootloader, are patches to add a new file like that still accepted? The big downside is that using something like that is probably incompatible with ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM. References: ----------- [1]http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1212.1/02099.html [2]https://blog.forkwhiletrue.me/posts/an-almost-fully-libre-galaxy-s3/ Denis.