linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
From: Michael Trensch <MTrensch@hilscher.com>
To: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>
Cc: Ladislav Michl <ladis@linux-mips.org>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@pengutronix.de>,
	nagasureshkumarrelli@gmail.com,
	Pengutronix Kernel Team <kernel@pengutronix.de>,
	Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>,
	Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: Hilscher NetX mach-netx refactorings
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 08:05:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Linus,

On 14.01.2019 15:22, Linus Walleij wrote:
> So a pressing question is whether it is OK with Hilscher that we
> decomission/delete the current support code for NetX
> nxdkn, nxdb500 and nxeb500hmi? Or are these products that
> still see active deployment (new designs) and maintenance
> in the long term (5-10 years from now)?

It's ok from Hilscher side. I've talked to our CEO and he is fine with
dropping it. Those boards are not produced anymore and our new Asics
(e.g. netX4000 and upcoming) will replace netX100/500 in the long term.
Our Asics usually have a guaranteed lifecycle of 10 years and netX100
has been around since 2006, if I remember correctly, so we don't expect
many new linux projects arising, with the need for the newest kernel.
Old kernel version will still be working though.

> OK! But when you have time and resources, please consider to
> work with the kernel community to get the board support upstream.

We want to work with the community now and in the future, but for
netX4000 we first needed to get this SoC working. It took many
development cycles to get all implementation working and now it seems to
have settled so we can think about step two. netX4000 Final (with all
required changes) was released end of last year.

Main problem would have been the continuous change of the Asic during
development and more or less constant changes to kernel sources. I think
this would have caused some laughing on the mailing list if we submit a
patch one day and do it the complete other way round with the next
(possibly non-public) stepping of the Asic. But probably that's just my
personal feeling.

Thanks for all your valuable input. I will take a look an see what I can
do about it.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Michael Trensch
--
Michael Trensch | netX System
Phone: +49 (0) 6190 9907-0 | Fax: +49 (0) 6190 9907-50

Hilscher Gesellschaft für Systemautomation mbH   |  Rheinstrasse 15  |  65795 Hattersheim  |  Germany  |  www.hilscher.com<http://www.hilscher.com>
Sitz der Gesellschaft / place of business: Hattersheim  |  Geschäftsführer / managing director: Dipl.-Ing. Hans-Jürgen Hilscher
Handelsregister / commercial register: Frankfurt B 26873  |  Ust. Idnr. / VAT No.: DE113852715
Registergericht / register court: Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main

Important Information:
This e-mail message including its attachments contains confidential and legally protected information solely intended for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please contact the addresser immediately and delete this message including its attachments. The unauthorized dissemination, copying and change of this e-mail are strictly forbidden. The addresser shall not be liable for the content of such changed e-mails.

Wichtiger Hinweis:
Diese E-Mail einschließlich ihrer Anhänge enthält vertrauliche und rechtlich geschützte Informationen, die nur für den Adressaten bestimmt sind. Sollten Sie nicht der bezeichnete Adressat sein, so teilen Sie dies bitte dem Absender umgehend mit und löschen Sie diese Nachricht und ihre Anhänge. Die unbefugte Weitergabe, das Anfertigen von Kopien und jede Veränderung der E-Mail ist untersagt. Der Absender haftet nicht für Inhalte von veränderten E-Mails.